Thursday, December 6, 2007

Henry Re-appointed

So Graham Henry has been re-appointed as All Black coach. I have boycotted Rugby News generally since the dismal failure of the RWC2007 - one that is the worst ever choke in my recollection – so the comments below need to be taken in that context.

I am glad that they are not doing a Mitch like in 2003 (knee jerk reaction is to sack the coach). What I am not happy about is that they continue to say they, the coaching staff, did nothing wrong and that the strategy was right. I have not heard anyone in the coaching team say "hey man we got it wrong but we won't make the same mistake next time".

Why, knowing the draw a year in advance, did they ponce about prior to the cup with easy games? Why did they NOT understand in their guts that the Frogs would truly test them and that they would HAVE to have a plan to win the match by 1 point? It was destined to be close given previous world cups. The type of the game was spot on from previous world cups. All highly predictable. Yet we failed to have an appropriate game plan - just the pure belief that "running rugby" and "we score tries" mantra would win it. Dumb, dumb, dumb. And from what I hear there is a collective state of denial going on in NZ over this.

They DID do some things wrong, big time wrong. Admitting it means you can learn from your mistakes. Failure to admit your mistakes means you are doomed to repeat them.

The denial has gone on too long now for Henry to publicly admit his mistakes so I will be waiting to see if Henry shows signs he has learnt from his mistakes. Time will tell.

I often wonder what the fall out would have been if the Aussies had gone on to the semis.

I have not yet donned an All Black cap or jersey (but I occasionally do sneak on some great AB socks Mum gave me).

GO THE MIGHTY ALL BLACKS!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG.... I know someone famous!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very proud of you cuppie :-)