Sunday, June 21, 2009

What a Difference a Week Makes

OK, I admit I did my bun last week and had a decent grizzle. That’s what I am known for so there is nothing surprising in that. But I still feel I was entitled to grizzle at that disgusting performance and the normal reactions of Henry et al.

This week we saw only one essential change – passion and commitment at the breakdown. The All Blacks played northern hemisphere rugby by keeping it in the forwards and kicking judiciously; they played to the conditions. The multiple box kicks up the side line had the Frogs swinging their heads around in the air – it was the first time I saw Henry put out a game plan that surprised an opposition.

The French were dropping like flies at one stage which is usually an indication that the intensity of the opposition is too much.

Brad Thorn and Kevin Mealamu were outstanding and really showed how it should be done. Weepu should be starting the game. If Weepu keeps playing second fiddle to Cowan he’ll be targeted by the Leaguies because he’d make a superb playmaker in that code.

I can honestly say that I would have been happy to lose that match because they put in a sterling effort up front (unfortunately some of the backs sucked still). This French side is pretty good and it could have gone either way.

We are missing a number of the top All Blacks which, combined with this sort of passion, would make an unbeatable side.

The final score reflected the tight match and perhaps highlighted what we are missing without Dan the Man – an all conditions top-of-the-line goal kicker.

It felt good to be an AB supporter again.

No comments: