Monday, June 8, 2009

Finishing the Rugby Scoreboard Stand

On Saturday I escaped to Daryl's house again to help him finish my Rugby Scoreboard Stand. The only thing we needed to do was put the wheels on and a "ski" at the front so that the stand could be pegged to the ground for extra stability in windy conditions.

Unfortunately I didn't bring my grinder this time which slowed progress as we only had the one. And what I thought were reletively simple finishing touches turned out to takle quite a bit of work to complete.

Here's the wheels mounted. It wasn't that easy to keep them square but in the end we got it pretty much perfect. One interesting thing we found was that the two wheels were a different width (and they came as a pair)! A few smacks with the hammer and the flanges on one of the wheels was adjusted....love that precision Chinese manufacturing!



Here I am doing a staged "working" shot.


A close up of the "ski" before Daryl welded it in place.


And now for a bit of Kill Rust on the new welds




After several hours we had it ready for painting. Daryl mixing the Mission Brown paint he used on his trailer.


All ready to paint!



Don't try this at home


In the winter you need some extra heat to dry the paint so these 500W halogen lamps come in very handy


Daryl posing with the finished product! Thanks Dazza!!!!!




PS: I tried this arc welding gig with a bit of advice from Daryl. It is not easy by any means and I would need a lot more practice before attempting something like this on my own.

No comments: